Desert Junior Golf Tour
The Desert Junior Golf Tour (DJGT), founded in the fall of 2002 by Dan and Camilla Plunkett, gives boys and girls between the ages of 8-19 the opportunity to compete in nationally ranked tournaments, showcase their talents and receive national recognition at a very reasonable cost. Tournaments are held at first-class, championship-caliber golf courses, organized and operated by professionally trained tournament staff. Originally an outlet for elite junior golfers to hone their competitive skills during the fall/winter off-season, the DJGT has now expanded in its ninth year to a year-round schedule.
The 2010-2011 season (consisting of 12 events: four Majors, seven Opens and a Tour Championship) also marks the first season that the tournament schedule will take players outside of Arizona to events in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Las Vegas, Nevada. The ideal climate of the desert Southwest attracts players from all over the United States as well as from Canada, Mexico and Switzerland. The goal of the tour is to provide resources for junior golfers to succeed at the highest level, on and off the golf course.
DJT PARTNERS WITH OB SPORTS
The Desert Junior Golf Tour has partnered with eight OB Sports-affiliated golf facilities to serve as the exclusive host to all 12 events on the tour’s 2010/2011 schedule of tournaments. The first event – held at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona September 18 and 19 – is in the books with the champion, Trey Kaahanui, carding a 3-under-par 139 for the two-round tournament, besting the nearest competitor, Kolton Lapa, by three strokes.
“Developing junior golfers has always been one of the core values of our company,” said Phil Green, President of OB Sports Golf Management. “They’re the future of the game, plus golf teaches a host of character-building lessons that no other sport can. This is why we support a number of activities that help juniors grow within the game. In this particular case, we’re happy to provide the Desert Junior Golf Tour with spectacular venues for their tournaments. It’s a great fit for both of us.”
Schedule of events for the 2010-2011 season:
- Longbow Open – September 18 &19 at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona
- High Country Shootout – October 23 & 24 at Talking Rock Golf Club in Prescott, Arizona
- The Duke at Rancho El Dorado (Major event) – November 13 &14 at Duke at Rancho El Dorado in Maricopa, Arizona
- Palm Valley Classic – December 18 & 19 at Palm Valley Golf Club in Goodyear, Arizona
- Eagle Mountain Challenge – January 8 & 9, 2011 at Eagle Mountain Golf Club in Fountain Hills, Arizona
- Mid Season Major – February 12 & 13 at Club West Golf Club in Phoenix, Arizona
- Sandia Open – March 19 & 20 at Sandia Golf Club in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Longbow Open (Major) – April 9 & 10 at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona
- Angel Park Championship – May 21 & 22 at Angel Park Golf Club in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Talking Rock Open (Major) – June 18 & 19 at Talking Rock Golf Club in Prescott, Arizona
- Palm Valley Summer Classic – July 23 & 24 at Palm Valley Golf Club in Goodyear, Arizona
- Tour Championship – August 1 & 2 location TBD
The Desert Junior Golf Tour provides an excellent adventure in a very competitive environment for serious junior golfers, not to mention it’s a great way to experience great golf in Arizona. For more information about the Desert Junior Golf Tour, visit www.desertjrtour.com or send an email to email@example.com.